Monday 14 May 2007

#3 - Southtown Girls by The Hold Steady

Sometimes a tune becomes a favourite because it has lived with you almost all your life. Sometimes a tune becomes a favourite simply because you have not been able to take it off the turntable for the past week.

Southtown Girls falls into the latter category.

Maybe in another weeks time I will have forgotten it. Maybe not. The a cappella intro grabs your attention and that first organ sweep has you hooked. As soon as the guitar kicks in you realise that there is no point in fighting it and you just allow yourself to be reeled into a swarming mass of bluesy, swampy, rocky perfection.

It struck me that if I listen to this song for as long as I have listened to some others (see previous post) I will be nearly 80. On so many levels I hope that turns out to be true.

Listen: Southtown Girls - The Hold Steady

No comments: